Your pleasure castle in the St. Gallen Rhine Valley
For centuries, Weinstein Castle, which was first mentioned in documents at the end of the 14th century, belonged to wealthy and politically influential St. Gallen families, above all the Hans Varnbüler zu Weinstein family (1375). Around a hundred years later (1479), Ulrich Varnbüler, one of the leading politicians of the trading city of St. Gallen, rebuilt the castle. Ulrich Varnbüler was an opponent of Abbot Ulrich Rösch. Because of the growing tensions with the city towards the end of the 15th century, Rösch planned to move the monastery to Rorschach and in 1487 the foundation stone of the Marienberg monastery complex was laid. Now, however, resistance arose among the people of St. Gallen and Appenzell for economic and political reasons. The conflict escalated and in 1489 the monastery complex under construction was destroyed. Since Ulrich Varnbüler played a leading role in the "Rorschach monastery break", he was condemned in 1495 and his goods together with Weinstein Castle were confiscated by the Confederates. It was only after an imperial decree that the heirs of Ulrich Varnbüler received the castle back in 1498. Around 1550, the stair tower was added to the building, the roof superstructure was extended with a knight's parlour and the historic kitchen, which is still preserved today. At the same time, the west extension was added as a one-storey outbuilding.
Various changes of ownership were followed by the Schlapparitzi, Högger and Zollikofer ownership periods.
In 1613 the building, reminiscent of a residential tower, was extended by the east wing, the baroque Schlappritzi Hall, named after its builders.
In 1841, a "bourgeois" bought Weinstein for the first time, namely Johann Anton Kuster from Altstätten. He added 1.5 storeys to the west extension and set up the first tavern in today's Torkel-Stübli around 1850. The castle barn dates from a similar period.
In 1943 Johannes Herzog von Thal bought the entire estate including the farm. The then advertised purchase price of 175,000 francs aroused doubts among the farmers' association as to its profitability.
In 1983/84, after considerable storm damage, the roofing, the "west façade hall" and the north-east tower were renewed and an apartment was built in the Torkel house.
In 1986, the castle passed by purchase into the ownership of innkeeper couple Alfred and Kathy Herzog, the third generation to run the castle in the Herzog era. This period saw the relocation of the kitchen from the 1st floor to the cellar, the extension of the restaurant and the opening up of the current restaurant. In 1989 new separate toilets were installed (until then there was only one toilet). Käthy and Alfred Herzog made the castle known far beyond the borders of the Rhine Valley. Since that time, the Torkel-Haus has no longer been part of the castle's property.
In 2013, the Thurgau entrepreneur Peter Häni and his wife Anita bought the castle and began extensive renovations immediately after the acquisition. For example, the entire west façade was replastered with swamp lime according to the old model. The kitchen was completely renovated and brought up to date. A new heating system was installed and the windows, some of which no longer existed, were replaced. Technically the house is up to date again. The adjacent barn was newly erected and extended by a banquet room. A hotel room or suite was also created in the attic of the east wing. Very extensive renovations were carried out within 1.5 years in accordance with the guiding principle of "preserving history".
On 1 May 2015, Schloss Weinstein was reopened under the tenant Friedrich W. Diener and combines upscale country house cuisine with regional influence and, with the banquet area, is a firmly established restaurant in the Rhine Valley. Restaurant and terrace in à la carte operation - Torkel-Stübli with 30, Schlappritzi-Saal with 100, Schloss-Scheune with 120, Schloss-Wirtschaft with 60 and Panorama-Terrasse with 50 seats.
In 2016, Schloss Weinstein was voted the second most beautiful wedding location in Switzerland.
In May 2018, the Wystei Lounge on the terrace was added to the gastronomic concept for the summer months. Especially for drinks in the evening and casual enjoyment also for the younger population. On August 1, 2018, Schloss Weinstein was admitted to the renowned "Romantik Hotels and Restaurants international" and has since been a member of the largest private hotel and restaurant community in Europe.
In 2020, the rooms Schlappritzi-Saal, Schloss-Keller and Ritter-Stübli are listed as official wedding venues of the municipality of Marbach SG, respectively the Rheintal Civil Registry Office. In the same year, the main terrace on the south side was renovated and a cellar was added for the maintenance of the vines.
Tradition, preserving values, rootedness to the location and hospitality with heart are guiding principles in the daily actions of all involved in the castle.
Rental period is freely negotiable